Monday, February 13, 2012

Oscar


Well, I did it. I accomplished my goal. Most would say it was a GIANT waste of time, but I loved it. I saw all of the Best Picture Nominees! I have always loved movies, and I think this is the perfect way to express that love. And let's not forget that all but one were "appropriately" rated--this never happens. Once I found that fact out, I knew this would be a perfect year to try and see all of the nominees--Black Swan and The Kids Are All Right ruined it for me last year...


So. Why did I do this? Because of the question...
The question is...Who should win ^this^ guy? 
That is the question I wanted to answer. 
What is the answer?
I HAVE NO IDEA. 
That is my answer. I am glad I am not on the Oscar judging panel because I don't think I could ever choose. Each movie was so different and well done. Sure, some were better than others, but for the most part, they all were entertaining, well acted, and appealing to the person watching.

Here are my thoughts-

And the Nominees are:
War Horse- I was as surprised as anyone. A movie about a horse? No thanks. Animals smell bad and look at you funny, I do not like them. Basically, I had very low expectations going into this film. However, I was wrong. Very wrong. I loved it. It is still shocking to day it, but I actually enjoyed a movie about a horse. This was one of the movies I attended by myself...yes, I am anti-social...and I realized at one point, 90% of the theater was in tears. Very touching, very well done, and absolutely deserved a nomination.
The Artist- Another surprise. It's a silent movie. And yes, it is silent. There is music, but no words. Since I wanted to kill myself watching Wall-e (no talking for like the first 30 minutes...) I though I was doomed for sure. Not true. I was riveted. Again, I saw it by myself, in a little theater, with about 6 elderly people. Loved it. I have never seen such charming people on a screen together. Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo are perfection.
Moneyball- Brad Pitt was great. Jonah Hill was less annoying than usual, and the story was interesting and even a little inspiring. However, it was kind of slow and took awhile to get into the nitty-gritty of the story. I still liked it though. I would maybe see it again, but I do suggest to see it at least once. (Side note: I am not a baseball fan, but I still enjoyed it. I bet baseball fans LOVE it.)
The Descendants- No comment.
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close- Holy Cow. That is the first thing I thought when it ended. First of all, I have not read the book. Just want to make that clear. Second of all, I feel like the Academy lost its mind for a minute because the boy in the movie was NOT nominated for best actor. That is an absolute TRAVESTY. He was amazing! The story is very emotional and will pull at every heart-string you have. I would have to say everyone in the theater was probably crying at some point in the movie...except me. But I felt it. Very emotional. Phenomenal acting and writing. The cinematography wasn't bad either.
The Tree of Life- WORST. MOVIE. I have seen in a long time. I would say ever, but I recently sat through Breaking Dawn...There are no words for this movie. What was it about? A family....? A boy....? Good question. At one point the screen was black with multicolored swirls and stayed that way for about 5 minutes. There were dinosaurs and lots of whispering. This is one of those movies that is SO weird the Academy just thinks it is "artistic" and "moving" and if you don't get "it" you are dumb. Well, I say THEY are dumb for nominating it.
Midnight in Paris- Entertaining. Not bad. Awesome Parisian wardrobe. However, I am pretty sure the only reason it is nominated for Best Picture is because of one name- Woody Allen. All in all- good, not great.
The Help- If you haven't seen it, SEE IT. Only movie I have ever cried in. Incredibly moving. Incredibly acted, written, directed, etc. And the book is amazing as well.
Hugo- Pretty amazing. The story took me awhile to get into, but the set design was NUTS! You felt like you were in Paris. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. Great casting as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment